Pınar Akpınar is Action Research Program Manager and adjunct lecturer at Sabancı Business School and Scholar at the Conflict Resolution and Mediation Stream of Istanbul Policy Center, Sabancı University. She received her PhD from the School of Politics, International Relations and Philosophy (SPIRE), Keele University with her dissertation entitled ‘An emerging mediator on the periphery: Turkey’s mediations in the Syrian-Israeli talks and in Somalia’. Her research interests are gender sensitive conflict resolution, foreign policy, international mediation and diplomacy, peacebuilding, humanitarianism, Turkish domestic and foreign policy, the Middle East, and East Africa. Akpınar taught at various universities including Sabancı University, Kadir Has University and Keele University. She was a visiting scholar at the School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution at George Mason University in 2013.
Akpinar advises institutions such as Turkish Foreign Ministry and Qatari Ministry of Defense on issues of mediation, conflict resolution and regional politics. She co-facilitated the Somalia-Somaliland Academic Forum (A track II mediation process carried out under the auspices of Turkish Foreign Ministry). She is a board member of and trainer for the Turkey antenna of the Mediterranean Women Mediators Network and a Women in Conflict 1325 Fellow, a women mediators network created by Beyond Borders Scotland.
Akpinar gave seminars on Conflict Resolution and Mediation to foreign junior diplomats at the Diplomatic Academy of Turkish Foreign Ministry, a program hosted by IPC. She also gave training seminars on Conflict Resolution and Mediation at the Model Organization of Islamic Cooperation Conferences in 2012 and 2013.
|Akpınar, Pınar (2015) "Mediation as a foreign policy tool in the Arab Spring: Turkey, Qatar and Iran", Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, Vol.17, No.3, 252-268 (SSCI)|
|Aras, Bülent and Akpınar, Pınar (2015) "The role of humanitarian NGOs in Turkey's peacebuilding", International Peacekeeping, Vol.22, No.3, 230-247 (SCI)|
SU Öncesi Yayınları:
· “International Humanitarian NGOs and Health Aid,” Çalıştay Raporu, İstanbul Politikalar Merkezi, Ağustos 2015 (co-authored with Bülent Aras).
· “International Humanitarian NGOs and Emergency Aid,” Çalıştay Raporu, İstanbul Politikalar Merkezi, Ağustos 2015 (co-authored with Bülent Aras).
· “Mediation as a Foreign Policy Tool in the Arab Spring: Turkey, Qatar and Iran,” Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies 14, no.7, 2015, 10.1080/19448953.2015.1063270.
· “The Role of Humanitarian NGOs in Turkey’s Peacebuilding,” International Peacekeeping 22, no.3, 2015: 230-247 (co-authored with Bülent Aras).
· “Violence Compared: Rape in Turkey and India,” Open Democracy, April 16, 2015 (co-authored with Jasmine Lovely George).
· “Qatar’s Regional Aspirations: Changing Mediator Role during the Arab Spring,” POMEAS Brief, no.6, February 2015.
- “Searching for the Garden of Eden,” POMEAS Oped, July 15, 2014.
· “Turkey’s Peacebuilding in Somalia: The Limits of Humanitarian Diplomacy,” Turkish Studies 14, no.4, 735-757, 2013 (SSCI).
· “Is Turkey a Loner on the Thorny Path to Peace,” Hurriyet Daily News, April 26, 2013.
· “Çatışma Çözümleri Perspektifinden Suriye-İsrail Meselesi [Syrian-Israeli Conflict from a Perspective of Conflict Resolution],” in Barışı Konuşmak: Teori ve Pratikte Çatışma Yönetimi [Talking about Peace: Conflict Management in Theory and Practice], Nezir Akyeşilmen (ed.), Ankara: METU Publications, 2012.
· “The Relations between Turkey and the Caucasus,” Perceptions 16, no.3, 2011: 53-68, (co-authored with Bülent Aras).
· “Turkish aid to Somalia: A new pulse in Africa,” Al Jazeera, September 2, 2011.
· “İsveç’te Gezinen Irkçı Hayalet [The racist ghost over Sweden],” Star Açık Görüş, October 4, 2010.
· “Turkey’s New Foreign Policy and Its Meaning for the Middle East,” Sharq Namah (Ahmet Davutoğlu Special Edition), June 2010 (co-authored with Bülent Aras).
· “Ermenistan'dan Bir İzlenim [An observation from Armenia],” Taraf, March 19, 2009.
· “Davutoğlu Dönemi Türk Dış Politikası: 2009 Değerlendirmesi” [An Evaluation of Turkish Foreign Policy during Davutoğlu Era: 2009 Assessment, Türk Dış Politikası 2009 Yıllığı [2009 Assessment of Turkish Foreign Policy], Burhanettin Duran, Kemal İnat ve Muhittin Ataman, (eds.), Ankara: SETA, 2011 (co-authored with Bülent Aras).